Thursday, November 24, 2011

Lessons from Solana Beach Coffee Company

It's Thanksgiving morning, I'm in San Diego waiting for everyone to wake up...I remember there is a coffee shop right down the street from the condo where we are staying.  Grateful they are open, I order my brewed coffee with half and half and a yogurt parfait.  I take a seat outside next to the regular and his Maltese, Bertie.  The owner of the shop comes out, grabs a chair and unfolds the paper. As I'm enjoying my Yoga mag article, I see another person approach the shop from the corner of my eye.  Instead of walking in the front door, he lifts the trash can lid and starts looking inside.  Once I take a better look, it's clear this man is either homeless or close to.   The owner shifts his eyes from under his glasses and the regular seems a little uneasy as Bertie trots up to greet this man.  I'm curious to see how the situation will unfold, as I've seen many "bums" asked to leave a public space like this one in Solana Beach.  To my surprise, the owner greets him and tells him, "Good thing you've got that rain coat on today...it could come in handy.  Have a seat, I'll go grab you a cup of coffee."

This year I'm especially thankful for other peoples' compassion and non-judgement.  We all need it from time to time.

2 comments:

just another being said...

That's really cool, an they make a pretty good mexi mocha

The Brandons 4 said...

That's awesome!